Monday, March 16, 2009

"What Are You Going to do Today, Mom?"

Often, when I'm talking to my son on the phone, he'll ask me this question. Most of the time I tell him the "same old same ole, clean house, do paperwork, cook, run errands". It doesn't sound very exciting or really even important(even though it is!), but the day usually doesn't end up "same old same ole". One day last week I took a friend who is without a car to a doctors appointment. Later that day my sister came in from out of state. Her kids stayed all night with me and the next day while their mom took care of some business. Later that day a friend called needing me to pick his kids up from daycare and keep them because his wife was in labor. I kept them all night and most of the next day. Sunday evening he was preaching at church, so I stayed with her and the new baby. This family is new to America, has no family here, and are still adjusting to being here. This morning a couple of other ladies and myself went over to their apartment to help in any way we could, clean, hang curtains, fold clothes, organize, do laundry, and feed them. I am remaking a curtain to fit a window for them. I was thankful that my schedule was not overloaded or that I was not working, so that I was available to help with these needs. I find that while being faithful in what He has called usto do, which sometimes may not seem all that important (even though I do love what I do), He opens doors to let His love be seen through us.
When is my house ever going to be perfect? I thought when the kids left home I would have time to totally clean and organize every corner of my house.

1 Timothy 2:9,10 "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works."

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have a beautiful schedule -- open to be where you are needed.

    ReplyDelete