Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Contentment

1 Timothy 6:8 "And having food and raiment let us be therewith content."

I've read this scripture a million times and for some reason it just jumped out at me the other day and gave me such a peace. Maybe because God has been working on me about disciplining my flesh, and contentment truly is another battleground that we need to have discipline in. Anyway, when I read it, it was like, "Hey, I don't have to feel guilty because we don't have money for nicer cars, vacations, eating out whenever we please, etc. We are fed, clothed, and have a roof over our heads, and that's all that it should take to make us content." God knows exactly what we need and when we need it. So many of the things that we think we need, and so we worry over obtaining, just add extra stress to our lives anyway. Besides, verse six of this chapter says "godliness with contentment is great gain". I do want to be godly!

7 comments:

  1. Contentment is a great gain. I need to work on this. Thank you for your words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sharon, for this scripture today. I, too, am learning ( have been for a long time) that I need to be content in the things that the Lord has blessed me with and know that He will provide everything I need in it's proper time. And since He came to give us life and life abundantly, I know I will never be in need and He will also give more than I need!What an awesome God we serve!
    Thank you for this wonderful reminder of His Goodness to us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with "simplebeauty" I so needed that scripture because sometimes I've allowed others to tell me that I needed more. It would stir emotions inside of me and cause me not to be content.
    I love this journey that I'm on because I'm always learning :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for these sweet words,
    dear sister in the Lord!! :)

    Many Blessings~ Miss Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an on time post! I recently arrived at a new level of contentment in my walk. Food and shelter - what else do I need?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! When I step out from the protection of the Holy Spirit I lose that contentment, but once noticed it's back I run!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Sharon,

    Thank you for stopping in for a visit and leaving me a comment on my blog.

    What I think is interesting about this verse; it says to be content with FOOD and RAIMENT. It doesn’t even say a home or shelter.

    Godliness with contentment truly IS great gain!

    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete