Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Children and Competition

Me first! Me first! Do you ever hear these words? I suppose competition (maybe the better word is selfishness) among kids is inevitable considering their sinful nature. Having three children, close in age, I used to hear these words a lot. So, I had a talk with them and taught them the scripture that says "the last shall be first, and the first last..." Matt. 16:20. I told them that whoever yelled out "Me first!" was automatically going to be last to get whatever they were wanting. Well, after putting this into practice and them realizing what was going to happen if they asked to be first, it started a new practice. Instead of saying "me first", they started saying "Me last! Me last!".
Okay, maybe I didn't really solve my immediate dilemma, but hopefully the principal from scripture was drilled in their head enough that they will never forget it.

3 comments:

  1. Sharon, this is so true that this situation happens in every family with more than one child. The "me first thing". I think it was good for you to point out to them the scriptures from Matt. 16. We all could profit from reading that story. ((smile)) Oh, when I think of all of the times I want things to go my way! Yikes,....it is convicting.

    Your little grandson Nolan is so adorable! I want to just pick him up and hug him when I look at his picture! I love his sweet smile.

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!! I'm going to try it with my 3 oldest, their ages are 6, 4, and 3 so I hear stuff like that all the time. Thanks for the idea!
    PS- you're my first follower on my blog!! Thanks for leaving your nice comment about my daughter's hair.
    Julianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea!!!
    I am always blessed by your wisdom,
    and praise the Lord for you!!

    Many Blessings~ Jen

    ReplyDelete