Friday, April 16, 2010

No Toil , No Harvest

Ouch! Yesterday I spent a large part of my day shoveling sand, leaves, manure, and compost into a wheel barrel and spreading them in my garden. Believe me, I am feeling it now. It was a lot of work and with every barrel full I wanted to quit, but I knew if I wanted a productive garden, I had to keep working. This makes me think about my spiritual life. If I want to grow spiritually, I have to spend time sowing into the spiritual part of my life. Sometimes I get lazy and it seems too hard, but I know that if I don't keep up the work, I will not see the fruit of my labor. Also, if I want to see a harvest of souls, I must spend time sowing, not just for my own benefit, but for others. Someone asked me the other day if I enjoyed gardening. I replied "I do in the Spring when the weather is perfect." When the Texas heat is bearing down and the garden needs constant weeding and watering, I wonder what possesses me to do this and I'm tempted to let it all burn up. I probably would, if I hadn't invested so much in it by then, and if I thought there would be no harvest. It's easy to pray, worship, and live for God when things are going just right. But when things are tough or I'm going through a dry spell spiritually, it takes work . I don't always feel like praying and spending time in the Word of God. But, I know Gods word is true and if I press through, it will be worth it. I also have past experience to draw from, that God will be faithful and help me come through these times stronger than ever. Maybe, all of this work in the garden would not have been so painful if I had been in better shape to begin with. Lord, help me to be faithful to be consistent in spending time with You, and working for You so that when the enemy tries to come in and disrupt (like the weeds in my garden which can easily get out of control and take over) I will be prepared.

Psalm 126:5-6 "They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him."

2 comments:

  1. Sharon~
    Doesn't it seem that some of the best lesson we learn are 'in the garden!'
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So VERY true, Sharon. (Seems there are all kinds of analogies of the Christian life in the gardening experience.) May you experience the fruit of your faithfulness in BOTH areas!

    ReplyDelete