Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Purpose on Earth

This morning as I was reading my Bible, I read across the scripture John 4, where Jesus had been ministering to the woman at the well. When he was finished, his disciples told Him to eat. But, Jesus says, "My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish His work." In the next verse He explains what is on His heart..."look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest." As I was contemplating this, I was reminded of the message that Pastor Baker gave Sunday about how important our perception of our purpose in this life is. We are to be a revelation of Jesus Christ on this earth. His purpose should be our purpose. If His heart, purpose, and what gives Him more satisfaction than food itself, is to see lost and hurting people ministered to and offered salvation, then this should be our passion, our purpose also. Is our purpose on this earth daily, to do the will of the Father and finish His work in this world? As I thought about how to do this in a practical sense, I went back to what Jesus was doing. He went to the well to rest, because He was tired from His journey. When the Samaritan woman came to the well, He asked her for a drink. This very simple act, led to an opportunity to minister to this woman's spiritual need. " In my daily life, Lord, help me to be sensitive to the needs of those around me and to offer them living water. Help me to place myself in places deliberately, where there are opportunities to minister to people the love of Jesus and be an example of You in this earth. Help me to do the will of Him who sent me, and finish His work."

John 4:34, "My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I have been so adrift wondering what my purpose was and kicking against living an ordinary life, praying for a revelation. It is so easy to keep wondering and neglecting the purpose already placed our way. My purpose has been there all along and God has actually sent a hurting person to me for me to minister to and I've been ambivalent about that opportunity. Thank you for opening my eyes. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scripture, John 4:34 tells us exactly what our purpose in life should be. Good reminder.

    ReplyDelete